New Tch-Designed Courses Coming Soon: Meet the Authors

Teaching Channel Courses - Credit Courses

Summer is just around the corner. Here at Teaching Channel, we know you’ve worked hard all year, so we certainly encourage you to take time to rest and recharge. You definitely deserve a break!

But for many educators, summer is also a time to do some learning. Perhaps you want to try out a new tech tool. Maybe you want to pick up new strategies for classroom management. You may even want to take a professional learning course. Whatever your learning mission, Teaching Channel is here for you with our videos, deep dives, blog posts, and now our brand new, Tch-designed courses.

Why Take a Teaching Channel Course?

Our courses enable you to:

• Engage with Tch resources through interactive assignments and discussions.
  • Watch and reflect on videos from our best-in-class library.
  • Learn from educators you already know and love, like Sarah Brown Wessling. Our courses are authored by prominent subject-matter experts and thought leaders, all current or former K-12 educators.
  • Connect with other educators taking the course and build a new professional learning network.
  • Earn credit from your choice of regionally accredited colleges and universities.

Orange Dot Border

We know that educators are busy, so we designed these courses to work for your schedule.

• You have 15 weeks to complete each self-guided course.
  • You can earn 3 credit-hours (we have for-credit and non-credit versions).
  • Course authors will have twice-monthly live webinars.

Orange Dot Border

When Can You Start?

Ready for summer learning? Here are the first three courses, which will start Tuesday, May 29. Others will be added soon.

Universal Design for Learning (UDL): Elevating Student Voice and Choice

Are you tired of following a scripted curriculum that assumes your students are all the same? Do you want to increase engagement in your learning environment so students are excited to learn what you’re teaching? If you answered “yes” to these questions, you need to learn more about Universal Design for Learning (UDL).

This course explains what UDL is, how it’s different from differentiated instruction, and most importantly, how to implement it in your practice to meet the needs of all your students. The course provides authentic examples of UDL strategies in practice and is universally designed, providing numerous opportunities to personalize your learning experience and create authentic products you can utilize immediately in your classroom.

Meet the Author:

Katie Novak

Katie Novak, Ed.D., is an internationally renowned education consultant as well as a practicing leader in education as Assistant Superintendent of Schools at the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District in Massachusetts. With 15 years of experience in teaching and administration, an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching, and four books published by CAST Professional Publishing, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally, focusing on implementation of Universal Design for Learning.

Katie is also featured on Tch in videos such as this one and is the author of several Tchers’ Voice blog posts.

Orange Dot Border

Project-Based Learning: Making Learning Relevant and Meaningful

Are you looking for strategies for creating consistently engaging lessons that promote critical thinking, capture student attention, and provide real-world connections? If so, project-based learning (PBL) may be for you. This course introduces you to frameworks and techniques that enable your students to complete a learning project based on the questions they’re asking themselves about the world around them, all while building cooperative learning and 21st-century skills.

Using backward design, you’ll design a project based on student interests and curricular requirements. By the end of the course, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge necessary to plan and implement project-based learning in your classroom to inspire and engage your students.

Meet the Author:

David Shoemaker

As Teaching Channel’s Vice President of Learning, David Shoemaker, Ph.D., believes that the learning experience is and must be a provocation, a signpost to possibility — as social, collaborative, and creative as the process used to craft it. David has spent the past 20+ years marrying emerging education technologies with progressive pedagogies to craft authentic, engaging, effective learning experiences. Regardless of the subject matter, the goal is always the same: a student-centered marriage of content, pedagogy, and delivery that ensures mastery of the intended outcomes.

Orange Dot Border

Instructional Coaching: Supporting New Teachers

As an instructional coach, you can make or break a new teacher’s experience. Whether you’re brand new or a seasoned coach, this course gives you all the tools you need to support beginning teachers. You’ll learn how to build strong coaching relationships and support teachers through each phase of a coaching cycle, including giving effective feedback, taking helpful observational notes, and much more.

Through your culminating project, you’ll conduct a complete coaching cycle, documenting it through notes and videos, and reflecting on how it went. By the end of the course, you’ll be equipped with strategies to help you take your coaching to the next level.

Meet the Author:

Lily JonesLily Jones, M.A., is Teaching Channel’s Education Content Manager. At Tch, Lily has led the Coaching Think Tank, getting feedback from and learning with exceptional instructional coaches around the country. She also writes a popular blog series for both instructional coaches and new teachers. Lily taught kindergarten and first grade before becoming an instructional coach. She has coached grades K–8, taught classes for beginning teachers, and mentored pre-service teachers. Lily is an accomplished curriculum developer who enjoys inspiring students and teachers to love learning.

Orange Dot Border

More Courses Coming Soon

These three courses are just the beginning. More courses will open in the coming weeks, including courses by Tch Laureate Sarah Brown Wessling and Brett Bigham, 2014 Oregon State Teacher of the Year.

We’re all about getting better together, and now that we have courses, you have so many options for learning with Teaching Channel.

Comments

Loading comments...

You must log in before we can post your discussion point.
Don't have an account? Sign up only takes a few seconds
Load More Comments