Leadership Development Module
Common Formative Assessments
Common formative assessments provide timely, vital feedback to transform student outcomes. Yet many teachers lack the skills to effectively create, use, and act upon these tools. This module will help your leadership team develop a shared understanding of key common formative assessment concepts and skills; assess the capacity of teacher teams to create and use common formative assessments; and support teachers in implementing common formative assessments.
As you prepare to explore this module's resources, consider:
• What capacities do teachers need to effectively use common formative assessments?
• How equipped are teachers at our school to develop, use, and act upon common formative assessments?
• In what ways can leadership teams (including schoolwide, content, and grade-level teams) help grow our teachers’ capacity to implement common formative assessments?
1. Guiding Instruction through CFAs
This video illustrates how the seventh grade mathematics team at Wilson Middle School modifies textbook assessments to align with district goals. Check out how the team articulates learning goals, analyzes results, uses results to inform instruction, and embraces collaboration.
2. Using CFAs to Improve Teaching and Learning
Watch how an English Language Arts content team at Covington Middle School develops, uses, and analyzes common formative assessments, and then designs a writing unit based on lessons learned from the data.
- Module Handouts
Handouts designed for teams working through the module together. They include reflection sheets, readings, and group exercises.
- Facilitator Guide
This guide allows an in-house facilitator to lead a team through the module’s learning experience.