Best, easy, and quick, huh? I wish that everything in life was that easy. I will give you a great, easy, and quick method that we use at our school in each class:
1) Activate prior knowledge-- by having them write, discuss , and demonstrate what they think is the process to identifying the main passage.
2) Model the expected behavior-- by having them study, watch, and listen to you explaining how you identify the main idea.
3) Guided practice-- by having them utilize the process that you want them to use with your help and from others
4) Unguided practice--by having them work on their own passages to identify the main idea on their own
5) Assessment--by having them check to make sure that they can identify the main idea
6) Reflection--by having them think about their new skill and the benefits they can realize from identifying the main idea of a passage.
You must sign in before we can post your answer.
Don't have an account? Sign up only takes a few seconds.
What is the most important "who" or "what" or what we just read? Tell me about the "who" or "what" in 10 words or less. That's usually the main idea in their own words.
Please sign in or register so that we can respond to your feedback:
Your message has been received.
Register Now and join a community of a million educators.
Take 30 seconds to register (it's free!) and:
Teaching Channel is a thriving online community where teachers can watch, share, and learn diverse techniques to help every student grow.
Schools, districts, and educational organizations — now you can harness the power of Teaching Channel for your teachers with the Teaching Channel Plus private collaboration platform.