Question Detail

What route to certification is best?

Apr 15, 2013 9:07am

My state of Idaho offers an alternative route to teaching. This requires a Bachelor’s degree in any subject followed by an 8-10 month independent study program from the ABCTE (

Since I have 146 college credits (AAS in Paraeduation/Paraprofessional and credits from a nearly complete AA in Drama) I am hoping to find the quickest way to receive an undergraduate degree and start teaching.

I have a strong background in teaching already. I teach as a Title I assistant, I have spent several years teaching classes in our After-School program focused on our most troubled and struggling students, and I have done extensive tutoring for a private family with four struggling and disabled students.

Would it be better to get a BA in a General Studies/Interdisciplinary Studies where I can combine the credits I already have then use the Alternative Route or should I continue with a traditional teaching degree?

Thank you very much.

  • Other
  • Pre K-8
  • New Teachers


  • You must sign in before we can post your answer.
    Don't have an account? Sign up only takes a few seconds.

    • Apr 21, 2013 2:48am

      A great thing to do is simply look at a t bar graph or t chart and write down the pros and cons of each course of action. That is what I even tell my graduate students. Weigh the pros and cons of cots, time , energy, and commitment, requirements on a t chart or graph and you should be able to come to a great conclusion.

      • Jun 25, 2013 8:36am

        The quickest route is not necessarily the ideal. You can actually take your time and concentrate on your studies because with the current economy we got, you might not get hired right away. Plus amassing a great number of credentials may only be perceived as more pay by potential employers. Fret not! So, if I were you and if you have some money to burn, I would consider obtaining certification for the National Board (NBTC) in the US as well so you have some more latitude/freedom. This is on top of obtaining your foundational teaching certificate (B. Ed. B. Sc, BA, etc. or some combo of credentials). I feel as though that obtaining this type of a credential would be more congruent to the CCSS. I could be wrong. More power to you.